Friday, September 11, 2009

WHAT'S THIS TALK ABOUT FERTILITY?

A lot of my family and friend's have been asking "what's up" when it comes to all the Doctor's appointments I've been going to the last 3 months so I suppose I can update for everyone! I've been having abdominal and pelvic pains for over a year now and wasn't getting any answers from my primary care doctor. I also wasn't menstrating and when I had an absent period of 4 months (and negitive pregnancy tests) I decided to go to an OB/GYN considering my regular doctor was offering NO answers what-so-ever.

I had my first appoint with the OB on Thursday, August 27th. She asked me about a million questions and decided to start me on a medication called Provera, a hormone medication intended to jumpstart my cycle. This was the single most horrible medication I've ever taken. I slept about 16 hours a day (when I wasn't at work), had terrible cramps that had me in tears, a migraind every day, and oh boy, mood swings were out of control! She also gave me a slip to get an ultrasound which I scheduled the following Wednesday, September 2nd. She told me to chart when I started my period and that she'd see me in 3 weeks UNLESS something came back concerning on my ultrasound, in this case I'd be recieving a phone call.

Well, I got the call the following Tuesday, September 8th and the scheduled me an appointment for 2 days later on Thursday, September 10th to "discuss my options" about the large cyst found on my right ovary. As soon as the doctor entered the room I was told that surgery was definitely neccessary in my case due to the size of the cyst. I don't know the exact measurements but I know that it's about 7.8cm in diameter (that's about as big as my whole uterus!). She informed me that because I'm so young that she is not worried about it being cancerous, but that it will be checked just in case. Because the cyst is so large it has completely taken over my ovary (normally only 3cm) and that she will be unable to save my ovary, thus it will also be removed during the surgery. The surgery will be scheduled very soon, all we are waiting on is approval from my insurance, which shouldn't take too long at all. In the mean-time I am supposed to take it easy; no heavy lifting, take it slow when sitting down or standing up, no twisting & avoid bending over too quickly. My ovary is twisting and causing a good amount of pain in the process, but if I'm not careful it could twist completely, and I was warned that this will probably be the most excruciating pain I've ever endured. My concern..? What if this happens while I'm at work, holding a baby, or even worse, while I'm driving? I could lose control and seriously hurt myself and maybe even other people! What if Nathyn is in the car with me? I'm pretty nervous about all this, and I suppose all I can do is hope that this DOESN'T happen before I can get in for surgery.
As if all this lovely information wasn't enough, the doctor also told me that I do not ovulate and that I don't produce progesterone. She suggested that I start on birth control that includes progesterone to make up for it. I haven't been on birth control for over 5 years and asked her if it were possible NOT to take birth control, as my husband and I would like to have another child. She then told me that because I produce NO progesterone and because I don't ovulate that I will not be able to have children on my own, and will have to use the aid of fertility medications to assist in becoming pregnant. Because I cannot start the fertility medications (no sense without Terry around) I am forced to take birth control pills until we are certain that we want a child, and at that time we can start the process of fertility treatments to get pregnant.

I am very upset about this news, even more so considering Terry isn't home to help me through it all. We have always wanted a large family, him especially. I swear as far back as when we were 14 & 15 years old he'd tell me "You know when we get older you're going to be my bare-foot baby-making machine, right?" It was funny, and still is, but now it's sad that that's all definitely going to change. I just feel horrible having to tell him all this over the phone this weekend. Having kids is not impossible, just gonna be a little more complicated.

Guess Nathyn really is a miracle baby.... ;)

1 comment:

  1. Awwww Kegan!! I am so sorry all this is happening to you... with this news are you still moving to Germany? Since your doctor is here? And when are you moving to Germany? Do you have time for the surgery and recovery before you move?

    ReplyDelete