Thursday, May 20, 2010

DO I OR DON'T I...?

...have PCOS?

Like we all know my PCM (doctor) diagnosed me with PCOS a few weeks ago and referred me off to OB/GYN for further treatment. I saw the patient liaison at the health clinic and booked an appointment with a German doctor. I saw her Monday, 17 May.

The wait was WAY longer than I would have liked, little over an hour. Kegan does not wait well. I was finally called in and was seated at a desk in an office.. weird. And then began the questions...

[I'm in the italics]
When was the last time you were on birth control? June 2004.
Do you have any children? One boy, 4 years old in June.
Oh, so you do ovulate! How long were you OFF BC before falling pregnant? Uhm, June 04 until Nov 06. Sooo... 18 months?
Wow, that's a long time! How much do you weigh? About xxx pounds. [Sorry, not sharing LOL]
REALLY? Wow... really? That's a lot! Uh, yeah, I know.

There were more questions; who diagnosed you with PCOS? What made them think that you have PCOS? [I answered]. That doesn't sound like PCOS to me. I don't think you have PCOS. You need to get an ultrasound, go sit in the hallway and I'll call you again.

In the hall I was talking with Terry. "Great. Now I have to book an appointment for ultrasound, and Lord knows how long that's gonna take. Then I have to wait for results, come back for another appointment so we're pretty much starting all over again. This is SO frustrating. I don't like this doctor, we should just leave, LET'S GO." The doctor called for me again.

Ok, so I was jumping the gun a little bit. It would definitely be an understatement to say I'm becoming quite frustrated with the whole situation. Maybe we're not supposed to have more kids... Maybe there's a reason behind all of this? Maybe we should just give it a rest and forget about it.

We walked into a second room where the doctor was waiting. I was definitely surprised to see what? An ultrasound cart. "Please step behind the wall and get undressed and come to the table." Thank God I came prepared with a long shirt. I changed and came to the table. She checked me out quite thoroughly and said everything looked fine, then began the ultrasound. She was very descriptive! She let me watch the screen as she pointed out each my right ovary and fallopian tube, my uterus and a pocket of fluid that she said represented that my right ovary had previously ovulated. WTF? Then what are we doing wrong? Then she proceeded to my left ovary and showed me "the cyst". The stupid cyst that put me in surgery in September. It's back.

When I went in for surgery in September the cyst was not removed, but rather cut into and drained. Had he removed it I would have lost my whole fallopian tube and ovary. Because he knew Terry and I wanted more children, he decided not to lesson our chances. But had he just taken it, I wouldn't have to have surgery again. Ugh! At that time is a little larger than 7 centimeters. Right now it's about 4 centimeters. Crap. Another surgery, I just know it. This sucks!

Dr. Mueller (my German OB/GYN) says that it's possible for this cyst to go away on it's own with my next menstruation. However, that menstruation is going on 3 weeks late according to the schedule I've been on since September's surgery. Aunt Flow was MIA for 6 months prior to that. This could be a long wait. So, as it stands, this is the plan:

- Finish the next 3 weeks of Metformin, repeat lab work, then discontinue taking it.
- Wait for menstruation.
- When menstruation occurs, call Dr. Mueller's office and make an appointment.
- During this appointment she will repeat the ultrasound to see if the cyst has gone or if it still rears it's ugly head. Depending on the cyst situation, we will take one of two paths.

1. If the cyst had flushed itself away with my menstruation then we can start Clomid. [Don't know what Clomid is? Click here.]
Obviously this is the ideal situation.

2.
If the cyst is still there I will be scheduled for surgery. I'm really hoping at this point that this doctor is comfortable enough to perform a laproscopic surgery instead of slicing me wide open. My last doctor did, but was a little hesitant because I'm obviously on the hefty side.

So, now we wait. We wait for three weeks to pass. Then we wait again for Aunt Flow to visit. I've never WANTED a period so bad in my life! Hopefully it doesn't take forever. What if it does? What if I go 6 months again? We are on a big of a time schedule. I don't want to wait YEARS. I'm panicking.

Ok, that is all for now. Suppose there will be another update in a couple months. Nothing more I can say for now. :(

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment