Wednesday, April 21, 2010

DIET DAY #1

Today was the official start of my diet (I played with it the last two days, so I don't want to count them) and I have to say, in all, I'm impressed. Today lacked a little flavor but I'm certain I can adjust. Be warned here and now though that I will complain about a few things. I followed my the diet given to me by my dietitian. Here's how my day went.
BREAKFAST -
  • 2 oz grains - 1 CUP OATMEAL W/ CINNAMON
  • 1 serving dairy - 8 OZ SKIM MILK
  • 1 c. fresh fruit - 1 CUP SLICED BANANAS, STIRRED INTO OATMEAL
  • 1 oz lean meat - 1 EGG, SCRAMBLED, USED A BIT OF MILK FROM MY 8 OZ
I like breakfast. The oats were a little bland so I may try sprinkling a little Splenda in them until I can find a better sugar substitute. The bananas helped a lot though. Drinking the milk was not my favorite, but I've never been a big milk drinker. I'll get used to it.

LUNCH -
  • 2 oz grains - 2 SLICES WHOLE WHEAT/ HIGH FIBER BREAD
  • 2 oz lean meat - 2 OZ LEAN TURKEY LUNCH MEAT
  • 1 serving vegetables - 3/4 c. CARROTS, 1/2 c. SALAD (NO DRESSING)
1 serving of vegetables is 1 cup of fresh/cooked veggies or 2 cups of salad. I chose a little of each for variety and to trick myself into thinking I'm eating more than I really am. :) The salad was icky, tasted like dirt to me so I put it on my sandwich. I used no mayonnaise, just mustard and fresh ground pepper on my sandwich. I also learned today that carrots (raw) make me gag. Another thing I'll just have to get used to.

SNACK - (No PIC)
  • Yoplait yogurt, 1 c. diced apple.
I diced the apple and mixed it in the yogurt. It was a nice treat.

DINNER -
  • 2 oz grains - 1/2 c. COOKED RICE, 1/2 c. CORN
  • 3 oz lean meat - CHICKEN W/ GARLIC & CRUSHED RED PEPPER, GRILLED W/ EVOO
  • 2 servings vegetables - 1 c. BROCCOLI, 1 c. SALAD (NO DRESSING)
  • 8 OZ SKIM MILK
Again, icky salad so this time I mixed it with the chicken. Gave myself a variety of grains with corn & rice, and a variety of veggies with broccoli & salad. Seasoned the rice with a bit of garlic & fresh ground pepper. I was very satisfied with this meal though. The milk was even refreshing. When I measure it out and know that I only have that much to drink, I make it last! Much better than 1 or 2- 16 oz glasses of Sweet Tea.

The drink I had with lunch was a suggestion from the nutritionist as well. I HEART SWEET TEA. I drink it everyday, A LOT! Obviously that's a ton of sugar and a bunch of calories! Her suggestion? Brew a gallon of tea but omit the sugar and stir in one container of Crystal Light to flavor. I went with lemonade this time, but I'm definitely going to have to try something different, maybe strawberry, next time. It's okay, but not the greatest.

I didn't stray from my diet one bit today. Total I consumed about 1200 calories. I SO wanted to eat the 2 bites of left over macaroni and cheese from my son's lunch, but I practiced some of that self control and I passed. That's something to be proud of.

I'm very optimistic about this, and can't wait until I start seeing the results (other than the gas, compliments of all the veggies I'd assume. Sorry, TMI).

Tschüß!

2 comments:

  1. A yummy breakfast that I loved when I was on my diet was a whole grain english muffin, and egg white and turkey bacon! Yummy! sometimes I would even add tomato to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck I know you are gonna do great. Hope you check out my giveaway. It is for a good cause:)

    ReplyDelete