Monday, April 19, 2010

EXERCISE & DIET PLANS

I saw a nutritionist today. And a physical therapist, too, to make up diet and exercise plans. I was SO relieved to be the ONLY one in the class today. I got to ask about a million questions and all of their attention was on me. We worked me up a little plan for me to try for the next 4 weeks, then I may make an appointment to go back in for a follow-up and to make adjustments if needed. At first I was really embarrassed to be in there, I am not all excited for someone to be critiquing my weight, but I had said I want to be healthier, so I'm doing what it takes.

Anyways, here's my little sample menu. My biggest problem is that I don't eat often enough, and when I do eat, I eat way too much. Normally I skip breakfast, have a late lunch around 3pm, then a late dinner around 7-8pm with portion sizes much too large and not a balanced diet. So hopefully this new schedule will help with that. That's the idea anyways.

BREAKFAST -
  • 2 oz grains (1 c. oatmeal, 2 c. cereal, 2 slices toast)
  • 1 serving dairy (1 c. fat free milk or yogurt)
  • 1 c. fresh fruit
  • 1 oz lean meat (1 egg, 1 oz Canadian bacon, optional)
LUNCH -
  • 2 oz grains (2 slices bread, 1 cup cooked starch)
  • 2 oz lean meat (skinless poultry, fish) if not having with breakfast
  • 1 serving vegetables (1 c. cooked or raw, 2 cups salad)
SNACK -
  • Fat free light yogurt, 1/2 c. fresh fruit, 1 c. fresh veggies (baby carrots, red peppers, ect.), 1 serving whole grain cracker/starch (if not having 2 oz at breakfast or lunch)
DINNER -
  • 2 oz grains (1 c. cooked whole grain starch or starchy veggies)
  • 3 oz lean meat
  • 2 servings vegetables (2 c. raw or cooked, 1-2 c. salad)
Daily Amounts:
  • Fruits: 1.5 cups
  • Vegetables: 2.5 cups
  • Grains: 6 oz (At least 3 oz whole grain)
  • Meat/Beans: 5 oz
  • Milk: 3 cups
  • Oils: 5 teaspoons
Discretionary Calorie Allowance: 195/day (snacks, desserts, ect).

My biggest challenges? Cutting the carbs (pastas & rice), drinking milk (icky!) and eating more fruit! I'd rather eat veggies ALL day! Other than that, it's seems pretty manageable. Pair that with 40 mins of exercise 4-5 days a week, and we should see some results. I'm sure there's tons of you out there that can manage MUCH more then this, but keep in mind that I'm just getting back into the whole exercise thing again. I'm ashamed to say, but being a stay at home mom has really got me more on the inactive side. My exercise consists of taking the dogs down to potty 4-5 times a day. I am on the fourth floor, but it's not nearly enough.

So here's to dieting and exercise.. and hopefully a healthier me!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Kegan! I'm proud of you! I should follow your example and eat better! Your old eating schedule sounds sooo similar to mine!

    ReplyDelete