Tuesday, February 23, 2010

PHOTOGRAPHY LOVERS... HELP!

I'm in the market for a new lens for my camera but not exactly sure which one to get. I have the Canon EOS Rebel XS and the lens that came with it, EFS 18-55mm.

What do I want it for?
- Mostly landscape/distant photos. There are lots of views here in Germany and I want to capture these memories! I want a good zoom to capture things farther away.
- I also take TONS of pictures of my son! I'm a sucker for the blurred background, I think it makes for a beautiful photo. I get that sometimes with my lens I have now, but not nearly as often or as strong as I'd like it to be. (And doing it in a photo editing program takes WAY to long, and to me, doesn't look as natural.)- Close-ups! Snowflakes on a leaf, bugs, flowers... things of that nature.I know I'll probably need more than one lens for these different things, that's why I'm asking for advice. I've been looking at a couple lenses, but the reviews on them are always split right down the middle. Does anyone have the Canon EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS or the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III? Canon's Compact Micro RF 50mm f/2.5? What are the pros and cons? Do you love it, is it worth the money?

I'm no professional, completely do this out of hobby. I would prefer something simple to use, but I'm totally willing to learn something a little more complicated!

What lenses do you have? What would you recommend? I don't need anything in the super high-priced range, but I'm willing to pay for a good lens. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!!

2 comments:

  1. A great lens would be the 50mm 1.8 and it is under $100. My favorite lens is the Tamron 28-75mm 2.5 but it is about $400. I would love to get a zoom sometime too. But I think starting with the 50mm would be a good choice for your needs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just askey my favorite photogrpher that takes Landons pictures and she told me to get a 50mm 1.8 lense and to my surprise there under $100 bucks she says it will be my favorite lense.

    Hey was going to challenge you to something called Project 31. You take a photo each day of something and then post it each day for 31 days. It could be food, children, nature landscape whatever you see that you want to show off your photography skills and challenge yourself to blog for 31 days

    ReplyDelete