Sunday, February 7, 2010

WEIRD WINDOWS & PECULIAR POTATOES

I love the windows in our apartment! They are definitely different, and I've never seen anything like them before. I will miss them when we have to leave here!
THEY OPEN ALL THE WAY...OR JUST TILT DOWN. AMAZA-ZING!
Lots of people have asked if the food in the stores is different or not. Terry & I went shopping at the commissary and the answer is.... no. While they do carry some German brands & products, most of what they carry are the name brand items that we have back home. With the exception of one thing; produce! I never would have though, but the produce is all German. The cucumbers are shaped differently, the mushrooms are more white than back home and the yellow onions are GINORMOUS! I couldn't believe it. And, get this. I couldn't find any brown potatoes! They have red ones or yellow ones...
We bought the yellow ones and boy do they taste different. Almost have a buttery taste to them. I'm thinking they'll be good for mashed or baked potatoes but the friend potatoes Terry made this morning? Not so great. The consistency is different and much softer than a regular brown potato.

Ok, now that I feel like a nerd for analyzing a potato for the world I think I'm gonna go! HAH!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just blog hopping! We live near Baumholder, so it's funny to see someone else's perspective. I haven't blogged in FOREVER, but reading others' has inspired me (maybe! :)

    Welcome to Germany!

    ReplyDelete